Today we went for a super long walk for miles and miles
on the beach. It was a cloudy rainy day like it has been the last three days
and we decided a perfect day to walk to the tip of the island. We have done this every year in Turks at one point..
Taken the long trek to both tips of the island…and there we have a special ritual.
We make wishes. And they always come true. (don't all wishes that we totally focus on?)We reach the
tip and gather a bunch of rocks and shells and say aloud our wishes. Not random
wishes either. One wish for health of the ones we love which is the most
important one. Then one wish for the kids. One with for our partner (each other!)
one wish for ourselves. And then one secret wish for each of us. All wishes are
spoken aloud and a rock thrown in specifically for the wish. The secret wish is
silent (today we both admitted that we were thankful the other was not a mind
readerJ
It is a beautiful ritual and makes us feel hopeful and
powerful and have faith.
And it is invisible I realized like so many other things
in our lives.
My Protector and I have many ways and have so many things
we do that are just between us-like this ritual. We don’t speak of this
stuff…to others. To our kids to other people. Lots of stuff that is ours. Two
years ago when Bear did not have his spot in the sports program bc of surgery
Hubby ran to both tips of the island twice and made special wishes for Bear-but
we never told Bear. Sometimes we will have these really cool conversations our
lives and our kids but we don’t share them with our kids. I guess most people
are like this-but for some reason this ritual made me ponder this more. People
who share about their lives a lot and people who don’t as much.
Thank goodness for
family night as it reminds us to share more. It provides that forum for us to remember
to share all this good stuff. This blog is that for me too…before this all this
stuff just stayed in my head. Now I am more conscious to share more often and
reap the benefits of sharing too.
It’s funny- out of most people I am close to I share the
least about my life in many ways (what worries me…what we do as a
family….my work…details about our daily lives….etc..) Most people I know share a whole
lot more which I adore hearing. This blog changed a lot of this for me and also my development towards
being more vulnerable and supportable by others. The ability to receive is a
skill that I have been working on.
The wishes are so different this year .Gone seem the days
were I would wish I was “more like this..”or more like that”. I know now that all
of it is perfectly within my reach.
I realized that the man beside me throwing wishing rocks
in the ocean………..is also entering a whole new phase with me. He too. Me too.
Together. Us. Our wishes this year had a very very distinct and different flavor.
We are growing up. We have evolved. As people and a as couple too.
The tip of the beaches in Turks and Caicos will always be
a magical place for us. It did not disappoint today that is certain. As we
walked back in the rain and the clouds and the wind slapping our hair and faces
I realized that just like this long walk how far we have come.
We stopped to eat at the gorgeous somewhere café that
Savvy recommended and we delved into the yummy tacos and margaritas and salad-so
tired and exhausted by our walk. And it was then and there that I realized that
these things we wished for our kids….we things that we ourselves are just uncovering
in certain ways. We have reached a new level of life really. What has taken us
so long?
But life is long and the process of learning is
forever. There is no right and wrong and there is no finish line to cross.
Writing. Wishing. Being.
Becoming visible to ourselves, others and to our lives.
Often thinking and feeling: where have you been all of my
life?