Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Shift to Be


The Shift to Be

I just read a great book on weight loss and happiness called “The Shift”.

After reading this book it became clear to me I was ready for my own (and my family’s) own type of shift when it comes to food and health.

There have been a few “subtle “hints lately leading me to think this:

My husband and I even after 4.5 days of vacation are still totally exhausted. We sleep all the time and nap anytime and everywhere. We used to easily walk 6 miles or more a day on the beach and now we find it an effort so far to walk at all! I am sure this will improve as of tomorrow or sometime soon but I think we are too tired and something is causing this. Food?

We both keep asking each other if there is something wrong with our washing machine because out bathing suits from the same trip last year seem to have shrunk.

Bear came home before trip with a pillowcase full of Halloween candy and a few days later we asked him if we could take a little baggie of candy on our trip and he said he has eaten it all. Then he asked if after his flu vaccine Didi could take him to the depanneur to have a treat. This made me think my children are (all) total pigs.

So it is time to shift!!!!

Here are a few rules I will follow when I am home. When I write them down it usually means I am committing to them. Especially when it is a public forum. My kids (and husband) kinda hate when I have a whole lot of time on my hands like this as I always come up with new “systems”J)))  It is so much fun for me anyways!!!

So here is what I am going to do when I get home:

Write everything I eat in a notebook

Brush my teeth after every meal

Weight myself and stash it in an envelope and then weight myself exactly a year later and compare (and every day in between but not write it down)

Only have one diet cola a day (vs sometimes two on weekends)

Never take seconds of anything

Only eat one carbohydrate (like bread or pasta or potato) per meal (this one will be friggin hard but better than eating none right??)

Consider a treat a treat. Not every mouthful or meal has to be something to look forward too or a celebration. Most days can just be ordinary (this one will be friggin hard too!)

Eat intuitively and don’t get tempted by tings that I could not care less about (like salad dressings, drinks, juices etc.)

Eat much more s-l-o-w-l-y (just typing this out slowly nearly killed me btw)

Only have desserts at home if we have baked them (since I also have a bad habit of not cooking or baking this will help this for sure)

Dessert can only be eaten 2 hrs. After a meal and not at night. And weekends only (as usual).

So there it is!!! Not too complicated right? If I have a large piece of paper I could stick these rules  on the bathroom mirror and practically not even see myself!

But seriously they may sound complicated to you but for me they totally resonate. For one of the first times I think I have the magic formula for me! I can shift I think with minimal intrusion. I can do this!

And as for the kids and family:

Much less processed foods

No more chips (only baked ones)

Make it and eat it dessert rule

No dessert until 2 hrs after meal

It is very difficult living with three tweens and teens who are like skinny minnies. They can eat ANYTHING and it would never show. I mean 6 packs abs and everything all three . Good good genes lucky them. Frustrating and deceiving. If they were a little chubbier we would have banned the bad stuff a long time ago.

It’s funny though because I make us sound like a Rosanne Bars house but it is totally far from the truth. We all eat very healthfully. Where we miss the train is on holidays and when guests come over and sometimes weekends even. We go overboard. During the week it is super healthy and no desserts and no treats and no fast food etc. We have lots of rules around healthful eating and actually none of us are big eaters….or overeat.

But my hips and Hubby’s belly this vacation is telling me it is time to shift. The fun is coming to and endL It’s time to grow up and have some restraint. The party is over. A new party is about to begin. Sure we will derail here and there and cheat here and there, but it is time to change overall.

I am actually excited. I guess this book was really really good for me. Somehow the message was wrapped up in just the perfect way for my state of mind.

PS-although the author’s shift although much simpler than my own with only three rules…..is way too drastic for me. Plain boring. I would rather be dead. In general I find diets a very very boring way of life. It bores me to pieces when woman order a salad with chicken.

PSS-Can this diet start after vacation? Trust me it won’t before then.  Living in a condo with this amazing chef for two weeks won’t allow that. On the menu tonight is beef teriyaki stir fry and garlic loaf and a Greek salad. Vanilla Oreos and milk to wash it down. We have been here 4.5 days and have only eaten out once! He has cooked everything. Lucky me:))

We are Foodies. We love our food. It’s kind of a religion. Thank god we aren’t too big or this really really would not work for us.

PSSS-I am so lucky to have a husband who looks at me and says I am beautiful all the time. He would way rather have a  bit of a tighter bathing suit on me (or him) then have me (or him) eating no pasta or bread. Guess we really are soul mates! I told him my plan totally and he was very unimpressed.