Saturday, November 18, 2017

Glass Castle



I have had some favorite movies on my life
Glass castle is by far my favourite and saw this last night
Written by Jeanette Walls I had also read the book which was ok but the movie was even better which is a rare experience

It touched a cord in me that has not been touched for a long long time .
Very dissimilar to my own life for certain , but many shared emotions .

Trying to run so far from my dad and his mental illness that seemed to swallow me like a large whale and encompass me
His illness overriding all the amazing and happy times we did have together

WhAt touched me so much in this movie was that the grown up daughter did finally come to an acceptance of her dad and the peace that ensued . Her family pushing her outside of what she thought capable . She found peace when she accepted her dad and his limitations. The acceptance of it led her to great joy and freedom
Both the younger and older daughter actresses were brilliant .

I was also reminded of the strong bond between my own daughter and her dad . Last year when he held her hands and looked deep into her eyes and asked that she trust him which she did and which he has so dilegently protected her trust every moment of every day since . I see what she will have with her dad that I did not and makes me so profoundly happy for her .
It made me so desperately happy for both of them and also so desperately scared . Loving so hard is risky business sometimes isn’t it ?

I saw myself in that daughter in the movie so clearly in so many ways . She was the daughter in me , the mother , the wife , the friend . The girl inside my woman .

She had to leave her life to come back to herself . Thankfully I did not . At the end when she wore her hair down at the table with her siblings and laughed and laughed I saw Freedom , acceptance and peace . I saw where I am now . I also felt sad for my path and my dads path that was unable to be completed in life but has been so much more in death .

Him laughing and her looking up , him protecting her and telling her how beautiful she was to him and how special . Him getting to her on a way that no other man ever would . The beautiful bond between father and daughter , one that I had very small glimpses of for a very short while in very small doses but there nonetheless . I know this now as I can remember the glimpses . I have allowed myself

25 memories on a Paper feels good enough . Sharing it . Writing about my experiences . Remembering who I am . Putting pen to paper . Remembering love . Love that was there . Fighting for it for myself . Reminding those around me I need to remember as much as I may show I want to forget

Don’t let great be the enemy of good is what I often say .
I loved this movie with my heart and soul and will ask everyone who loves me to watch it . Even if it was completely different than my life and circumstances so many of the feelings in it were mine

It broke my heart and saved it all at once

Watch the Glass Castle . It is a masterpiece not to be missed