Wednesday, October 12, 2016

The Art of Comfy Travel

I have had different relationships with business travel over different stages of my life 

At certain times when kids very little and demanding was a treat and an escape if not very frequent . In other stages of kids being in middle school ,I resented it as clashed  with family commitments and school activities , and now at its all time high I usually quite like it or at the least am very neutral about it and barely even notice I am in planes hotels and airports quite often 

It also helps that now with consulting they are billable hours as don't get paid for travel hrs  ever but do get paid for any work I do during that time and when you are pitching and presenting to big groups like I do it is certain that when you are not sleeping on the plane you are definitely working ( or blogging ! )

The hotel makes a huge difference too . We are spoiled in Pharma and have awesome hotels but when not a Pharma company booking .. hotel experience is not always great . The hotel and surroundings make it or break it . Last week in Atlanta I got bumped from my hotel bc over double booking for hurricane and let's just say the " hotel " reminded me of a very shabby nursing home . That was fine though as with hurricane all was chaotic and I preferred to have the poor families who left their vacations and homes with family have the coziness and luxury instead of me who was working and going straight to bed anyways 

I  much prefer the 5 star with the heated pools ( and I don't feel bad saying it given that business travel is demanding especially internationally  when Peru or Russia so I feel  very entitled to my comfort) 

It's fun though when not too much and I have my certain rules when I business travel :

-I always try new foods that make that place unique ( is it my fault that last week in Atlanta I had to eat all fried food for southwestern cuisine? Fried green tomatoes and hush puppies and peach cobbler made me feel slightly nauseated but were yummy in a unique way )

-I always buy a little souvenir for myself . I splurge on a nice pair of sunglasses once a year and on a normal month a pair of spanx tights or a new book 

-I also use the time to have great texting conversations with my three kids and hubby and mom and friends and get caught up . This trip was cool as hubby in Peru and so we texted like crazy in transit 

-I never bring luggage to check if under a week and have a very stuffed carry on ( lost luggage too many times ) I am now an expert 

-I also try to get on plane in first 20 mins before people to ensure enough in overhead bin for luggage . They never ask me why I get in line in the wrong order . I am so not a rule person and has led to alot of success for me! (don't read this part children)

-I always have a bathingsuit and a cute dress as you just never know what lies around the corner for fun if a free moment for leisure . Rare but can happen and I like water 

-I am Comfy all the way . So I never wear my high heels in airport and bought the best shoes I could find to go
With business suits and be very comfy ( still look like an idiot but worth it )

-It's all about the bags so I buy stuff that is classy and cool and in style but easy to carry for my back . And I always have a small Purse with phone and passport lipstick and hand sanitizer very accessible 

-Always a hair elastic around my wrist , lululemon pants , a pillow , my agenda , eos Lip balm , hand moisturizer  and a good book for before bed 

-I never watch tv in hotels but read and work and plan my whole life just like on vacation . I never make airtime a waste of time 

-I always forget my travel pillows on the  planes  and am sad because I love them 

-I have Nexus and it is amazing and let's me pass all the lines and feel important ( except like this time that nexus or not i got the lucky 1/1000 random search of body and all electronics ! )

-For business presentations I try to look really put together and have nice clothes hair and makeup and change into a different evening business casual outfit for evening team events 

-On plane the way there I wear lululemon  and casual ( even though some say that need to be ready for business on plane too ,I have enough business and need comfort more  ) on way back I wear my business suits and funky comfy shoes and still look like a loser without proper shoes but at least my ankles are not twisted and I can run for connecting flights 

-I bring my own snacks of 100 calories so I am not too tempted by airplane snacks ( and often I just eat those and my own snacks and end up double  the calories so maybe need to change this tactic ! )

-I always plan my next vacations on the plane and calculate with money earned how to pay for them or which line of credit to use 

-I always pray for safety in a plane and say a note of thanks when I land safely . I always clap for the pilot when the plane lands . Even if sometimes I am the only one 

-I try and get Chase to pick me up as I am scared of taxis and we have our little airport routine down pat him and I 

-When I get home from trips I relax and take it easy and often go to bed . Business trips tire me 

-I try to make people who don't travel for business ( ie my family ) understand that it is often exhausting and similar to 16 hrs days at office . I happen to often be in nice places but often don't even get to see them . I try to make them see that I need to go to bed and can't be doing dishes cooking and laundry after " my break "

-I have no system to my suitcase and usually roll up clothes in a ball and deal with them at home except for one outfit on a hanger that I put nicely in dry cleaning paper 

-I always have an extra business skirt and shirt and pair of business shoes in case zippers break or stains get on them .Trust me on this one when you have one pair of boots with a suit and the zipper breaks and you have to wear running shoes to give a keynote speech - it helps you learn this lesson 

-In case any of that may have helped .. Happy business travelling !