Saturday, December 28, 2013

The Shift- Part 2



 

In Turks and Caicos 6 weeks ago I made the decisions after reading an inspiring book about weightloss and eating that I was shifting.

Not to the traditional” I will eat less and exercise more” mentality….but to the intuitive type of eating mentality that I know works for me. And I did. Right there in the middle of my vacation. And since then it has been effortless….easy …and successful.

I know that for me moderation is everything and deprivation is failure. And I need to remember that in my shift. And so far I finally have. And my goal is not major weightloss it is maintenanc for a lifetime and a bit of weight loss and shaping my body through yoga and muscle building and walking consistently.

Well so far I am very happy. The shift mentally formulated 6 weeks ago but the exercise commitments way before that. Has been a year now doing yoga..and lots of walking..and strength training consistently. I like what I see. No one else would probably notice too much. But I do and it feels amazing. My hips are slimmer…my clothes fit way better. I feel back to what I was about 4 yrs ago…which is comfortably satisfied and comfortable in my body. And I am satisfied with that.

Would I love to be slimmer? Sure! But the cost benefit doesn’t pay off for me (aka starving and being at the gym instead of working and with family). I take this curvy body and embrace it. And now? It looks great. Pretty much anything I put on I am back to liking again. That toning and 6 pounds make a huge difference for me. And my goal is to stay there for the rest of my life.

 

Through the rules I made for myself through the shift. To just listen to my voice inside around food. It has been a week of candy and cupcakes and Xmas logs and gelato and guess what? I truly don’t care! I eat some and never have seconds. I never take chocolate unless dessert and there is no temptation. Tell me I can’t have it and that is all I think about all day long.

I am naturally not a big snacker or sweet person (French fries are another story). I need to use my intuition. And I need to accept that maintenance vs losing is the goal for me. And embrace that.

And it influences me to help a close friend right now that is going through a hard time. Her husband is struggling with problem drinking and they are trying to find solutions. They are deciding between the route of abstaining, recovery and AA to moderation management and harm reduction recovery. This shift stuff I have shared with her ….and she has been listening. Clearly being addicted to drinking is different than enjoying food…but I think they share some common elements and I found this interesting to share with her in case sheds some light on their own difficult decisions.

The shift. I love it. I feel proud. I feel really pretty lately. I feel great and good and back to a part of myself that I missed for a bit.

A good way to start the new year.