Sunday, July 24, 2016
I Rob Families
I steal childhoods and adolescence from parents
Even from the kids and the teens themselves
I take parents from children
Dads from watching kid's baseball games
Mamas from watching their kids in the park
Parents from properly tucking their children in at night
I even often ruin rare family dinners; if I allowed to
Grandparents don't understand me and think I am very very rude
Teachers resent me
Parents have to constantly compete with me
Younger siblings often wish I would just go away and give then their older brothers back to play with in the treehouse
Family vacations are harder and more complex because of me
I prevent kids from wanting to play outdoors
I stop conversations and interactions
Being present becomes a thing of the past because of me
I don't fit in well with nature
I don't like eye contact with people
My listening skills are horrible
People miss alot of wonderful opportunities because of me
I make it hard for people to look up
I rob precious moments
I get better and better at my job every year
I am more brand new and shinier every month
Everyone wants me
Everyone needs me
Pretty much kids , teens and parents alike are addicted to me
I am often chosen over most activities and life experiences
I am popular
I am brilliant
I am coveted
I am used as both a reward and a consequence
Many three year old kids know me more an a lullaby
Mothers use me as they breastfeed
Fathers use me when they give their kids a bath
I sleep beside many people every night
I am the very first thing most people do in the morning
I am the last thing most people do at night
Most people never leave home without me
I am the cause of many fights in families
I encourage lots of bullying and meanness
I cause isolation and loneliness
I make people feel like their lives are less interesting
I am the first to tell people when they were not invited to a party
And the last thing to be able to provide a hug, a kiss or a care
I don't know how to love
Or teach
Or show up in someone's time of need
I don't look up
I don't look out
I don't keep people safe or sound
I tell many truths
And many lies
I am a terrible friend
I keep kids from sitting longer in their parent's laps
I shut teens in their rooms longer
I replace games on long car rides
I steal hours of sleep
I limit intimacy between husband and wives
I allow children to grow up too quickly
And prevent great conversations
Moms look at me instead of their kids doing flips in the pool
Dads use me during family movie nights
I am exceptional at what I do
I make like so much easier in so many ways
Often too easy - people don't have to try very hard anymore
People think I am everything
People show more love to me than they do to their loved ones
People place me first
People depend on me
I am addictive
Families don't need cameras anymore
Families don't need music anymore
Families don't take breaks anymore
Families don't disconnect anymore
Families fight because of me
Families divorce because of me
Families lose a magic they once had
A connectedness they need that they don't have anymore
They are all together but yet Alone .All the time.
Alone Together
All because of me...
I rob families
Who am I?