Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Wabi Sabi


“Nurturing all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is simple and nothing is perfect”

For me this means that it is life’s imperfections that make life beautiful. And it is my imperfect self and the acknowledgment of it that keeps my human journey fresh.
It is coming to peace with the fact that many things and people and things that people do around us are irritating and baffling-but they are temporary and fleeting and without these irritating things and people in our lives we would miss them. There would be a hole in our lives.

And that is the way I understand the Japanese simplicity perspective of Wabi Sabi.
Something I am trying to work on lately is judging others, or wanting others to be more like me, or wanting to change people so that I feel I can love them more, or being envious of what others have and I do not. It is something I am actively working on in my own development. It’s as if sometimes I feel like the world does not have enough love and happiness for all of us. It’s a mindset I want to actively work on in myself and shift my paradigm to a more positive place.

Part of this involves Wabi Sabi. Part of it involves giving out compassion to those who are not showing me compassion at the moment but who I know are generally very good people. Part of it involves sending loving messages to those I feel might need a lift through daily messages to the universe (at the same time each morning where I systematically express gratitude and also set my intention of the day) sending it to people who quite frankly in my life right now don’t deserve it-but who are getting it anyways.

Part of it is simply letting go. Which is hard as I hang on tight. When I start letting go I feel like a big part of me is saying goodbye.

I had a few situations within a few years- that co-existed and taught me the same valuable lesson: sometimes you just have to let things go in life. Sometimes you have to expect that you will always feel baffled by things you just do not understand and have to move on anyway in a loving and compassionate way.

Some other people in my life have called this being a doormat. I think of it otherwise and differently. I see it all as a lesson we learn about ourselves –a gift rather. To show compassion and to forgive to me is the highest and most evolved of the human state. If your needs are not being met in a situation or relationship-a doormat would mean to accept that and do nothing about it. Compassion to me means seeing and communicating and understanding that people do things differently and fulfilling the unmet needs you have in different places and different people. That being said,  still respecting and showing compassion and loving understanding to the person or situation who was baffling to you and not meeting your need and letting them meet your needs in the ways that they are able to and that you are able to accept. 

It is letting go in so many ways while still keeping the person close in your heart and in your life. That being said being true to your heart and seeking that need elsewhere simultaneously in ways that you need to feel safe and loved.

Wabi Sabi.

Or your kids being loud and obnoxious and irritating and instead of yelling or nagging-taking that irritability and turning it into big and true breaths in and out of the body to calm your beating heart. And thinking to yourself “I will miss these sounds one day” and then carrying on. Inviting those sounds more sweetly into your soul.

Wabi Sabi

I am letting a whole lot of Wabi Sabi into my life lately. Letting go of a lot of baggage and opening myself up to new experiences and new people vs trying to change some of the experiences and people into something they may not be.

I am looking for things I need in my life and trying to fulfill them in new and different ways.
Wabi Sabi


Try it on? You may like it too?