This year a bit different for us as first year spending it at cottage and first year that I have a lot of work to do so not as relaxing as it usually is for me.
Our traditions around Easter are that we spend it with my husband's family-specifically with his brother's kids and their own kids and my Mom of course. So Friday night we had a houseful of babies and toddlers and we loved every minute of it.
We love other peoples babies-especially that we get to give them back after adoring them all evening:)))
Very unfortunately one of the 4 yrs olds had to spend the evening at emergency as his cousin accidentally whacked him in mouth with hockey stick 5 mins after they arrived. Never a dull moment when you have 10 little kids in the house.
My hubby went and fed them there at the hospital with ham sandwiches and chocolates and they ended up being able to join late around 10:30pm which made for a fun but super late night.
My Mom always gives us and the kids such thoughtful gifts with little cut out eggs as name tags with our names on them all of us our favorite chocolate:)
Kids always wake up Easter morning to a big chocolate thing each on the table. My favorite part of Easter is the tablecloth and stuffed series of bunnies that go on our Easter table. I am not a very traditional person when it comes to occasion decorations. I don't think I even notice when a wreath at Xmas comes on and off the door-but somehow that table cloth and bunnies get to me.
As a kid we had an orange tablecloth each Easter and it felt like something I could depend on and look forward to year after year. It's funny how in life it's the simple things eh?
I would have been better off in an Amush community or something. North American entitlement gets on my nerves.....but somehow I join in it all anyways.
Today we did an Easter egg hunt outside at Trent. We hide eggs with amount of loonies inside corresponding to all the kids ages added up. Candy inside eggs too. And they find them all and then divide it all up equally. Cute little tradition that the pot gets bigger as they get older. Our property here is big and full of forests so this kept them busy for a long time!
We sat on the patio and watched them search the corners of the forests and lake-soaking in the sun. They each with their Easter baskets from since they were little-collecting all the eggs. It's really cute.
My Hubby loves Easter-it's a holiday that his parents always put energy into-and he remembers with fondness.
After their hunt they did one for us outside too-with clues and hints they make up (aka-goal was to keep them occupied and busy a good part of day without fighting). It half worked.
Funny thing I have been reading a lot about intuitive eating lately and following a lot of the advice. It's funny how when you allow yourself chocolate and candy and stuff and give yourself permission to eat them as much as your body desires...you end up not eating much at all.
I can honestly say I have no palate for the Secord eggs sitting on the counter, all the Reese's Pieces lying around and the leftover jujubes from stuffing the eggs.
Maybe with a glass of milk later as treat...when I am actually hungry?
So a nice spin off this year to Easter for me is realizing how little I crave sugar. Now carbs are a whole other story! It’s and interesting process how when you become more in tune with your body you seem to automatically do what is right for it. Eat less and move more without trying so hard. I have a feeling that this intuitive eating stuff is the way for me, I have already noticed a difference both in my body and my mentality. I lost 3 lbs in the last two weeks by pretty much …just being nice to myself. I already see a difference in the way my clothes are fitting.
So Easter this year has been good so far. Low-Key. Easy. Hubby and I slept in today until 11am. Feels like we are cars out of fuel.
I need to fill myself up these next couple of days to prepare for a very big week at work next week ahead.
Sun, family time and a bit of chocolate should do the trick. Add in a bit of the extra trampoliine jumping we did, family badminton games and nice long walks and I am in tip top shape for what lies ahead.