This morning I felt what it feels to be all grown up. Sometimes it’s easier to just not be a grown up and have the responsibility of making adult decisions.
So we signed at the Notary for the sale our family cottage. And in return we got a check. I honestly could not care less about the money.
I cried my way through it-silently with tears streaming down my face. So did his sister. Both reactions equally completely unexpected.
It ended an era for me. And important one-a big one. One of the happiest times of my life. It ended more than an era for my husband-more like a lifetime.
I was left feeling undone and a tremendous loss on so many levels mixed in with a new life and so many opportunities ahead too .For all of us.
My husabnd came undone along time ago on this-he was here where I am now a year ago when we bought Trent. He seemed fine today.
Its funny how even the closest of couple’s can be at different places at different times.
That we experience the same thing differently.
So we both came undone at different points.
He is finished now.
I think I am too.
It’s time to officially move on.
I hope we did right by you Max. Thank you for leaving him your blessing.
So today while we were already being all grown up anyways, we also decided to redo our wills, guardianship of the children, living wills, power of attorneys and mandates.
We decided to get our acts together.
It’s about bloody time. I mean I am married to a Notary (in other countries Title Attorney).
We have always had Wills of course and named guardians but this is only the minimum, but we have been lazy on a whole bunch of stuff in the last years that would be very complicated for our kids if we were to die.
Wills were not updated to current situation, no second tutor was named for kids, executor was not named, living wills not formalized, heirs if all of us die together in a plane crash not stated.
Some midly important stuff right?
I feel it is my biggest responsibility to protect my kids if I am not there too and because these thoughts cause anxiety in me (lots of it) I decided to repress some aspects for many years. Leave the mess to the kids to figure out? Not very responsible at all or kind.
No excuse for this.
Well this week we got it all figured out. And also re- looked at our marriage contract and our overall finances with our financial advisors.
So we grew up this week and we also we became undone.
We started the process and now it is finished and complete.
I think we both feel exhausted.
One thing for sure I learnt about myself today in that room and that everyone there also learnt me- money doesn’t touch or move me in the least. Relationships do. They always have-they do and they always will.
The rest….so what.
I will remember the hug and the words spoken forever. I don’t know if the check made it to the file or fell on the floor.
So a chapter has closed.
I am very much looking forward to getting all cozy with my brand new book just waiting to be fully opened .
I am excited to read ahead.