Sunday, March 03, 2013

Good Enough


 “Don’t let good be the enemy of great” (or something like that anyways)

That expression has been swirling around my head over the last few weeks and seems to make a lot of sense. I have been testing it out too in my own life; it has been something that before now I have not been very good at.

And I think that for me I can apply it more easily to my personal life than to my work life. At work I have always held the value that it is your job to deliver what you have promised; that is what you have been paid for. If you take something on it is your role to deliver. If you cannot it is your role to negotiate or communicate or delegate. You are responsible to make it happen; and what you produce should be high quality and shine. Always (or very close to always).

What has always bothered me at work is when employees are compensated or are seen as stars when they don’t deliver. Yes part of what they delivered may have been the extra mile, or incredible, or wonderful-but what about all the other parts that were never dealt with or delivered or communicated about?  Real stars can do both; go the extra mile and deliver consistently with quality. I am lucky enough to work with many of those types of stars; which is always motivating to see them in action.

It’s the non-delivering stars that grate on my nerves more often.

However when it comes to personal life I am trying to adopt that “good is better than nothing at and does not always have to be great” attitude. When I am able to take on this attitude successfully it makes my life and my stress level a whole lot easier.

Like exercise. If you say I will commit to 4 days a week and then you only do 2 then normally you think you have failed. But what if you tell yourself that 2 is better than nothing and still very good?

Or when my kids leave the house a mess but when I ask them to clean it up they are somewhat cooperative and willing to help but on their own won’t lift a finger? Before I would have considered that an utter failure, but now am trying to view it that some kids won’t even help out when they are reminded so I must be “lucky” (hate that word!!! Practiced for decades is a better explanation of my “fate”).

Or when financially you are spinning around and around and losing much more money than you had ever expected on a big project in real estate you took on and are renovating-and your first thought it just “stop this now!!!!!” but then you realize it might not be everything you expected or hoped for, but it will be a lot and enough and you will somehow find a way not just to manage but to make it wonderful and beautiful and work out. You will somehow find another way to compensate for all that perceived money lost. A better tax specialist for the future? Incorporating a business with a family trust? Trust me on this one …my brain won’t allow anything less than good. You fix mistakes..it’s my personal brand dammit!

And your looks, what about settling for good instead of great. Yes in younger years you used to find lots of joy in choosing a great bathing suit and prancing around all summer in it. Now you are elated when the cashier at the boutique says “You have the prettiest green eyes and the nicest smile” Good enough! Yahoo!

Or when your teenager is a complete disaster when he comes home from an expensive sports fieldtrip you have subsidized and are curious to hear more about and he tells you he is too tired to talk and you are getting on his nerves. The next morning you still know nothing about the trip and he barely looks at you. Is this great? Not!!!!! But the following afternoon he writes you a sweet little text and apologizes and then tells you that that night he will tell you everything about it and that he was very tired and exhausted because he had climbed two mountains, did half and iron man then a triathlon and his butt hurt and he can’t sit down. Is that good? Yes it is  good..so you take it..And accept his apology and listen intently to his funny stories.

Or at work just as you are about to leave for vacation for a relaxing week and you get two emails that stress the hell out of you. Usually that would just do it for you-the vacation would be off to a bad and stressful start. This time? Don’t stress and take the “whatever it happens” approach. Let it go and move on..go and enjoy this precious time with your family. Don’t let work issues take that away from you.

Or in your marriage on Fridays nights when you are most excited for the weekend to begin it is your husband’s pattern to be tired, exhausted, stressed and out of it (Friday night vodka!). It feels like a sucky way to start a weekend doesn’t it? But Saturdays and Sundays he is alive, funny, caring and a great partner usually. Do I wish he could include Friday night in the joy-of course! Will I take Saturdays and Sundays..yes I will and with pleasure.

So it is all a mindset I am noticing. And noticing is something I have been doing a lot of around here lately. Stopping and noticing what types of reactions I have to what types of certain things. Looking at it more objectively than emotionally and deciding if it is worth the fuss.

And not letting good escape because in some situations I can’t have great. Letting good…be good enough which is often better than the girl or the guy next store who is waiting for great to come along and does a big bunch of zero.

Along with being more “V” this year (which is working btw) I will aim to be more of a “good” girl. At home anyways.