I totally did not expect Jay Peak to be this
awesome..what a welcome surprise. This is the second mountain in the USA that
has been so much fun, we went to Stowe last Spring Break and adored that too.
So this is our second and final night and we have 3 days
ski and waterpark passes and 2 nights at the hotel. It is an amazing package.
The hotel room is exactly what I want. Beautiful view, 2 TVs, a separate living
room and bedroom and full kitchen. Huge bathroom. Never ever expected it to be
this nice since I was so busy at work last few weeks did not even have time to
ask what was in the room.
And the waterpark in unbelievable! All indoor with huge
lazy river and outdoor Jacuzzi (unexpected since I was told no Jacuzzi!)
amazing and super scary slides etc…etc…
And the mountain is gorgeous. Today was beautiful like a
true winter wonderland with all the trees covered in powdery snow and ice. It
was breathtaking going up in the chairlifts. We love winter. I loved the
long and leisurely slopes that take ages to go down-the perfect blue intermediate
levels for me. I was so exhausted by the end of the day and so was my Protector….we
are getting old!!! Our kids are so much better than us at skiing now it is
crazy!
Last night at dinner I was in one of my silly moods (happens
about 2 days a month) and made the boys laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh. We walked back to the room arm in arms.
Beauty is harder to crack and make laughJ we
all hopped into our king bed and stayed up late with popcorn watching Storage Wars.
I am so happy we came here.
Today other another great day despite a lot of squabbles between
the kids. Whenever we travel for some reason they just seem to irritate each
other more …maybe because in closer quarters? It is irritating to me and makes
me think they are spoiled not to enjoy every single minute. But if I can
successfully ignore it (like I did today) and not let it get to me too much
(like I did today) it always gets better after a couple of annoying hours. Noone
ever promised a bed of roses with two teens and an attitudy tween did they?
And as I write this Chases has met up with a friend from
school at the waterpark and is there soaking and surfing with him now. I am
glad it worked out and he had a few friends coming here and their plans did not
work out to meet up so far and he was bummed. I reinforced to him that this
often happens with friends (I personally got “somewhat dumped or stood up a bit
or had disagreements of some form” twice in the last week by friends who said
they would do something they did not or said something that irked me a bit). I
told him that is why family is so important..as they will always make you and
your concerns their priority as you would theirs (I would hope).
Anyways I love this little family getaway. I love this
hotel and am so happy that we came here. It goes well beyond my expectations
and this is a good thing. I think we finally have our travel formulas down pat
as to what we want exactly and what works for us:
Every March break skiing at the cottage and 2 nights in
USA hotel skiing
Every second year beach family vacation
Every alternate year more cultural or European trip with
one child only
(Alone trip if there is money!!)
Travel is very very important to us-especially in these
years where we know our family trips have an expiry date due to jobs and girlfriends
and boyfriends not far off into the future. We always said in these years that
travel would be very high on our list of priorities and it is. We save and
budget for it and is of massive importance for us. We would give up buying any
nicer car, any electronic, and have less savings to be able to take these
getaways.
We had thought one day we would like to do a big trip somewhere
far off and away all 5 of us but realize that we like mini trips like this or
beach trips with the whole gang. We will save the more expensive trips for the
amazing 1-1 time with each of the kids. We find otherwise it gets too hectic
and chaotic for us and then we get irritated too easily and end up enjoying the time less. I am glad we realized
this about ourselves and found the formula that works for us. We always thought
it would be one 1-1 trip each and a couple of bigger family trips , but have
decided that we will likely do two 1-1 trips with each kids, one as they finish
primary school and one as they finish highschool (ssh..they don’t know yet)
Yay for the beautiful and fun Jay Peak…I will post our
pics next week.
Amazing place and getaway.