Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Forgiveness


I think if there is one lesson in life I learnt -it  was about forgiveness. I was truly taught this lesson.
In a work envormpment nonetheless. In front of about 13 colleagues. Learnt about my personal life in front of my professional life. It was transformational for me and changed the course of my life in many ways since that day about 5 yrs ago.

Since then the words” Forgiveness is for You” have always stayed with me.

Again yesterday in a beautiful fiction book I finished the main character  goes on to say:

“No matter what a choice always belongs to you” How true! Empowering to know that that can never ever be taken away from you.

And that “Forgiveness is so much easier than resentment. As hard as it may be you only have to do it once. Resentment is felt and carried wish you each and every day”

Forgiveness can apply to huge, almost unforgivable situations or for the simpler everyday mistakes that a family member or friend can make. In most situations you feel you need to forgive without the person really accepting responsibility to the degree that you feel is appropriate. You often feel you are right and they are in the wrong. Often they don’t say sorry.
It is so much easier to forgive .And feels so much better

I would add though that for me forgiveness is necessary to move on but so is communication. I think it needs to be stated what was wrong and how you experienced it. I think the person needs to know or you are not doing yourself any favors or them any favors either. For me the best gift in life you can give another human being is the gift of your honest feedback. It is also the best gift you can ever receive. It may not feel like it at the time-but will be well worth it in years to come. Someone actually cared about you enough to take the time to communicate courageously with you-count yourself lucky
.
Forgiving and moving on is hard but easier
Expressing authentically what the problem is and discussing it and then forgiving and moving on is where true courage and peace comes in.


Who do you need to forgive in your life?