I am not a very holiday type of person. Sure I do it well and everything, the Christmas trees, the bday parties, the easter eggs etc… Trust me go all our most of the time and am very atached to tradition, but often I find holidays over commercialized. It does not resonate well with me that everyone all around the world celebrates at the same time for some reason. I like things to be heartfelt and unique.
However for some reason Father’s Day really resonates with me. It’s a holiday I like to put alot of focus on and make special. Even though I know every Father out there Sunday is waking up to cards, gifts and breakfast and newspapers in bed; I still like it alot.
And they reason I like it has nothing to do with my own Dad who passed away last year. He had some very sweet qualities but being an exceptional father was unfortunately not the highest on his list (although there were important things I learned and loved about him through different phases of my life).
The Father I have given to my children is what I like to celebrate most. I might say it is likely my highest accomplishment in life and I mean that from the bottom of my heart. I am so estatic that they have him as a Dad-it comforts me to no end.
When I set out to find a husband at the ripe age of 22 yrs ..(ha-ha wasn't really like that at all just a joke!) all I had in mind was that above and beyond anything my husband was going to rock as a Dad. It was fundamentally probably the most important thing for me (yes Freud I know you are in your grave now analyzing the hell out of the father-daughter relationship I had as a child and connecting it to the husband I have chosen).
The funny thing is when I met him he barely wanted kids. But he knew by marrying me, the little bossy fertile thing I was, that he would end up with them. We still have no idea how on earth we ended up with three of these creaturesJ
And my Protector…is also very much their Protector. I have written about this wonderful man before many a time in these blogs, but he literally does everything for us. And in the areas where he feels he lacks at all-he tries to change and adjust to the craziness surrounding him. Can a woman ask for more? The three words that describe him as a Dad would be Nurturing, Providing and Capable.
He provides security and comfort for us all always. Every single day every hour and every minute. He could solve any problem or situation. It’s to the point I barely know how to do anything at all because he knows how to do everything. And the man is brilliant and humble too-as in top in entire province from graduating year at notarial law school (never mentioned that to us until we found a newspaper clipping in an old album). Had his own successful practice running since the age of 21 yrs.old! God I hope my kids have his genes.
Anyways this year what I have appreciated about him most as my husband is his willingness to change. I have just about ripped every inch of security from underneath him from starting this blog, changing cottages and changing in many ways myself from what he has always known…and asking him to take this journey with me. He happily does. Slowly but surely. Stable.
Each year when we do the rounds and visit our doctor, dentists, bloodtest takers etc... I am reminded of just how beautiful my husband is because all the professionals remind me often that I have a really hot guy in my bed (I know a little odd coming from a doctor, but that’s just perfectly fine with us).
So we will celebrate this Dad on Saturday and Sunday with a meal cooked by me of summer pasta, sausages on the BBQ and a dessert Bear and I will make of lemon lime pie that I stole off my friend’s blog. The kids will make him Cheese Dreams in bed on Sunday and he will sip his coffee on the dock.
I have a whole slew of gifts for him that I carefully choose this year (unusual for me to put big emphasis on gifts but really wanted to spoil him a bit). My Mom will be with us at Trent all decked out in her bug suit .
We will end the day with a generous invitation to our old cottage from his sister who so graciously invited us to spend Father’s Day at her place. We are thrilled to go there and be there with them. Feels like a brand new start actually. Perfect way to celebrate my husband by seeing his sister. I am a firm beleiver that siblings need eachother no matter how different they are. They were made from the same original mold and they need to stick together through thick and thin. Families of procreation are one thing...families of orientation are etched deep, deep deep in our hearts. We have to do everything in our power to access that-always.
So Hon-thanks for all that you are and everything you do. Happy Father’s Day to the man who has made all of our dreams come true.
I promise that one day, in the next decade, I will let you retire and make money enough for both of us. I can't wait to come home to strawberry marjaritas and fresh tomatoes and boccacini from the garden you grow. Served to me on a flowery plate you choose from the village decorating store.