Saturday, June 30, 2012

Five at Sea (often minus three..)

There is nothing..and I mean nothing as lovely  as messing around on boats”.
I don’t know where I got this quote, I think my late Grampa cut it out of the newspaper for me ..and I love it.
In our family I don’ think any of us are happier than when we are playing on boats. Motorboats, sailboats, kayaks, paddleboats. We live on these things and have since the kids were born (aka walking into cdn tire and asking if they have lifejackets for 3 month olds-I mean if dogs wear them why not little infants)!
Boats have been so much a part of our lives for what seems like forever. Essentially we have brought up our kids on Five at Sea.
We have taught them wakeboarding, waterskiing, slalom, and kneeboard. They have been flipped thousands of times on the tube over and over and been taught signals for fast and slow.
We have screamed at them endless times to practice harder and to get the sport right (we are huge tiger parents when it comes to watersports and the achievement of them). It certainly has paid off; they are all wonderful to watch on water and very skilled, but it has been an exhausting process at times!

We have told endless jokes on boats and laughed our heads off . We have blasted music and danced often.
I have cuddled them, and held them and played with their hair endlessly on boats.
We have screamed at them to get up and try again, bribed them with gumballs and parked at many islands to swim with our boat.
We have named all the surrounding islands, BlogSpot, Malibu Bay and Covey corner.
There is something magical for me about the wind blowing in my hair on the boat. I do my best thinking there. I feel free there.
We have slept on boats and woken up on them. Our kids have loved them, gotten bored of them, begged for them and resisted them.
Boats have mirrored our lives and the way we live them and I will always, always hold that in fact that quote was true and that there is nothing much in life that comes close to playing and messing around on boats . Boats have kept our family together and close….and I will be forever grateful for them in my life.
Boats will always be part of us-each one of us. Boats have defined us in somany many ways.