“You know Mom and Dad when I slept at Didi’s (Grandma's) she took really good care of me.”
What did she do to show you that?
“She put sunscreen all over me before going to the park. She did that. She took really good care of me”.
I insist that my daughter wear sunscreen every day she is in the sun. Each time she goes to the park. In summer I ask her to re-apply it 3 times a day.
Her comment left me confused.
Then I realized and the reality of it made me feel really sad.
She was very touched and taken with the fact that her Didi took the time to put sunscreen on her and for her. She did that for her.
I remembered back to all the times my Mom did that for me as a child and teenager and how I loved it so.
It made me think and worry that maybe Beauty is calling to me to take more care of her. Touch her more. Maybe the sunscreen being on was affection she craved and lacked:L(((
It made me sad to think that here I am doing things to show her I care while all along it may be other things she needs.It made me feel sad that my precious long awaited girl is also the third child and often her needs seem to get pushed aside along the chaos of a larger family. Sometimes she really is last.
It made me realize that sometimes the simplest things make the biggest difference.
I left myself with the inquiry of why the simplest things are harder for me than the bigger things? It is so hard to be a Mother isn’t it? Gosh..it’s easy to feel like we have failed.
I have given myself the weekend to figure this out.
(and anxiously went to the pharmacy and bought a big bottle of sunscreen to slather over my girl combined with many hugs entrenched deeply in my heart).