Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Next Pleasant Thing


It’s not by accident that my blog is called “In Search of Sun”…I seem to be on a continual search for sun, for peace, for calmness for happiness.

For something or another.

And weather used to matter to me. More than a lot. I have come a long way.

And the funny thing is that I already am filled to the brim in my life with so much happiness and all of those things and everything else, but I am constantly  still on a quest. (I guess that is why I have alot of happy things in my life).

So it is not by coincidence that I find myself talking to many close people lately about peace and inner joy and how they get it, if they have it and if they want it like I do? And if I have it,  how to ensure I maintain and retain it.
I am asking alot of questions lately. It's how I learn.

I have heard many answers along the way, but the one that resonated with me most lately was from my Mom, my Heartbeat, in my pool the other day.

She tells me a little story of two Taoists:

One says:

“I wonder what exciting is in my day today?”

The other says:

”I wonder what I will have for breakfast?.

Same thing

So this resonated with me a lot as for the last two days as I wake up in the morning,instead of thinking of the bigger picture of my day and how I feel about it…I go for the next step only  and not only ask myself how I feel  about it, but try to make the idea of  it as pleasant as possible.
To influence the way I think about the next task on my list. To fit pleasurable things in there as often as possible. And be grateful for them in and of themselves.

As my Mom says-to not expect necessarily happiness and anticipation of a day, but to accept that neutral is an also pretty good too.

My expections of life are very high. Cleary. Neutral?

So the last two days have included a couple of short swims in the pool at unexpected moments, a few yummy sandwiches just for a fun indulgence, a lot of "people watching" .Appreciating an old man going into a depanneur and coming out with only a lottery ticket, and some moments of talking about my Dad’s naked portrait in front of my collogues at a business dinner.

All seemed to bring me pleasure and although they likely always did, I seemed compelled to stand up and notice a bit more this time.I felt myself smile a bit more and sort of liked the neutralness, yet pleasurablness of these simple, subtle moments

I go back to what my simple goals were as a late teenager and young adult before life got as complex as it is now and that was often” Make sure there is something to look forward to every single day. And doubly ensure that weekends have many things to look forward too”. Sounds simple eh? It seems to have worked for me for most of my life. In many ways this still is my goal.

I will revisit these thoughts and add on the Taoist approach to waking up in the morning. And continue my search; with a whole lot more of flower smelling being added onto my journey, as I take the time to breathe them in.

More deeply.Simply and neutrally. With fewer expections perhaps.