I can’t fall asleep at night on Dec 31st until
I choose my word for the new year. Last night this was a huge problem considering
that I only tried to fall asleep after the big party at 2am.
By 3:38 am I had my word. By today Jan 1 I have my
second. I cheated this year. This year gets to cheat and have two.
Last year it was “V” (for Vanessa). That word was with me
all year..guided me…lead me..inspired me. And I became very “V”
My two words this year are:
1-Serenity
2-Patience
Serenity: steadiness of mind under stress; composure,
calm, peacefulness
Patience:
ability to accept and
tolerate delays, problems, sufferings without becoming annoyed or anxious
And ps I have already arranged to wear both around my neck! In a 12 hr span!
Oh yes people I am putting myself up the the challenge
this year!!!! I am severely stretching my innate and current (non) capabilities in these areas!
But I did V very well..I see no reason I cannot be serene
and patient in 2014 right??? At least some of the time. Serene I am already half
way there…patient is a whole other story. But I need to be both. This is the
year.
So there we have it. Today we slept in until 11am (thank
you God for finally allowing us some sleep and no skiing) and then we had a
beautiful lunch out with my Mom. Funny stories..Lots of hugs….she commented
lots on the way my jeans are fitting, me lately….we ate yummy St Hubert chicken
and gravy and coleslaw and had delicious desserts. We went and deposited all
the kid’s Christmas money in the bank and stopped off to cash in the winning stocking
lottery tickets and won more!
Now at Trent and tonight is my fave tradition of the
year: Burning Bear's candle he buys me for my bday and doing our looking back
and looking forward for the Year in front of a roaring fire on our cozy couch. Written all in my beautiful leather note book
. I can’t wait..And although the kids won’t admit it I know they all love it
too.
And the Hubby gives us all “La Benedition”. A blessing. For
the New Year. And why? Because his Dad gave it to his children on New Year and
now he gives it to our because he is the Patriarch now. And Patriarchs give blessings
right? And it makes us feel good to be blessed.
January 1st for me defines the rest of my
year. Sometimes it is puking..sometimes it is watching others clean it up…sometimes
is it wishing I could clean it up myself..sometimes it is looking sleek and
slimmer in my new jeans..sometimes it is laced with sadness and pain..or sometimes
overflowing with happiness and peace.
Today was a mix of all of the above. And despite it all (and
because of it all) I just felt love..for my husband..my children and my Mom and
for the village we have all built together brick by brick together…and a sense
that we will all be ok. By the end of this year-we will be happier than we
started off. And the level we are starting from is pretty damn acceptable. I am anxious and excited to see what we are like by the end of 2014. But I will patiently wait...wait and see...calmly and serenely. Just like the good good girl I am:)
Happy New Year!!!!