My very smart friend gave me advice a few weeks ago when
I talked about that I wanted to change something in my marriage. She said “maybe
you should stop doing something and..start
doing something”
Starting something had never really occurred to me
before-so it hung heavily on my mind. I never really asked her what she meant
by it but I figured it was something like “start chopping veggies at the
counter with him” or “start gardening outside with him”. But on Saturday night
last weekend when both our Hubbies were away and were having a late night texting
marathon I asked her point blank:
“What do you suggest I start doing?”
And she told me to pray.
Yup-you heard right –my religious friend told me- her non-religious
friend to pray.
Now at first I thought this was a little crazy-but then I
realised it was very generous and made a lot of sense.
Before I agreed to try it I asked her more questions of
course like “how do I pray if I don’t really believe in God?” and “isn’t praying
disrespectful to religious people if you pray and are not religious?”
And she said no to both. That I could pray to the
universe of nature or whatever as long as I thought whatever out there was a higher
power than me.
Now that was easy-I have had three babies and I considered
the act of giving birth all miracles so I
consider lots of things much higher power in the world and nature than I am. So not that I prayed to an umbilical cord or
anything-but I took her advice and prayed.
OUT LOUD Nonetheless!!!!
And OMG was it embarrassing at first. I have never felt
so self-conscious in my life or so weird.
But
I did it and I liked it.
And the next night I did it again (in my head as I could
not handle the out loud part and the Amen part at end) but I still did it.
And then today when my Mom told me she is having yet
another really bad health day I prayed again.
And I felt good.
So what if she tricked me into this? I do not care. I
like praying it seems.
The same friend has also been very generous over the
years since I am not religious and she is very- I pray thorough her when
something goes wrong and she never seems to find this odd or say no. I have
always found this rather nice and sweet and very kind hearted actually. I often
also ask her hubby to pray for me too as he performs miracles and starts
broken boats before my own eyes so I consider he has a great miracle track
records. He is also very sweet and generous and agrees when I ask him for a
prayer and he never looks at me funny when I make this odd request.
She also told me that prayers don’t have to be reserved
for important stuff that you could pray for a boat to start to lose 5 lbs etc.
Who knew that you could pray for stuff like that and not be religious???? Wow I learn something new every day it
seemsJ
Yipee!
So thank you my dear for this new thing I have started to
do. And I have paid it forward too and tricked two more people close to me into
praying!!!
Which brings me to the subject of water. I have abandoned
diet coke except for at restaurants (or half a can at the cafeterias). This is
a miracle in itself. I don’t drink it in my house anymore at all. And it is amn
hard I have to say as I crave it both physically and mentally (and no I am not
into lent). Anyways each time now that I
crave diet coke I drink a glass of water and after about 2 mins no more craving!
I am a genius right?
So that is something I started to do too-drink water
instead of diet coke (except when I am at a restaurant that is) Today at indian
with a friend I ran into the resto and asked the waiter straight away for my fix before I sat down.
And this is diet coke we are talking about people..Imagine letting go of alcohol for someone addicted??
And this is diet coke we are talking about people..Imagine letting go of alcohol for someone addicted??
Holy smokes..I pray for those poor souls.
Lets actually all pray (to umbilical cords??) that water and praying cuts it for them
too.