Sunday, April 07, 2013

Going Back Home


 
(Was away 10 days with family on cruise in Caribbean!  I will post first (below) and last (this) blogs now from airport. In between blogs about trip will follow with pictures this week)


Most often I judge any trip by the quality of books I read. I read three excellent ones this trip. Not enough reading time but plenty for my soul. I loved my three books. Equals great vacation for me.

 
After tomorrow we will be on our way back into reality. It's always a strange feeling after vacation. We are ions away from any type of reality here.

Overall this trip was really great. Every moment of it. There are parts of cruising I like and other parts I like less but it was a great way to get away as a family and spend a lot of quality time together.


Going home this time will be strange in many ways. I am going home to things that are not the same. Hubby's office renovation will have come a long way ok while we have been gone 10 days... Imagine we have not checked email once so have no idea what is going on exactly. He will move in on April 26!  Ready or not. A big step for a guy who has been renting an office in the same building for 30 yrs. To own and have renovated an old house and made it into an office in a very short period of time.


I will be going back to a slew of emails and likely the announcement of my new boss. I have so much work right now and this year on many big projects... Combined with a new leader who will depend on me a year a lot will be particularly busy at work.


And the book I am co-authoring... Almost finished chapter 5 which will make it half written! I cannot believe we are there already. I can’t believe I have found a way to fit this dream into my life. I can’t believe I am doing it.


And a close friend and special person in my life... will not be there when I get back. She has moved and it has weighed on me during this trip. I know with certainty we will stay close and connected.. but I also know I will miss my everyday friend. I cannot picture her not stopping by. Somehow my heart is heavy on this one.
 

And Chase... a whole new chapter begins on Tuesday of this week when he will start Concerta.  A well-researched and well thought out and planned and big decision which was not at all easy. My biggest fear is that he will lose some of the sparkle that has lit him up and our family for so many years.. My biggest hope that I can bring this sparkle even further into focus for him.(next title of a book!!) That he will finally feel the benefits of all the hard work he does. Just before the holiday he took a science exam that we and a tutor had tested him on and we all expected him to get over 85 percent and him too. He got 60 percent and it crushed him and perplexed him and us.

I won't let this continue to happen to a kid who studied for so many hours diligently :(

 
Concerta it will be as of next week. I am scared.

 
And then all the lovely things to go home to as well. Seeing my Mom on Monday and maybe getting to eat a sandwich with her after her long liquid diet.  Monday night seeing Soul keeper and the kids. Thursday night at Oprah show with my Mom who managed to get us last minute tickets and getting to speak on the phone with Savvy. Going back to work I love and even if it will change knowing that change is what I am best at when it comes down to it and supporting my new boss’s transition to role in the best way I can.

 
Vacation is wonderful. But when I think about it life is even better.

I love our days in paradise and cannot even begin how to articulate what great experience these getaways provide for our family...but more than anything...

I truly value the gift of an ordinary day.

 And I am glad that I am at a place in my life where even ordinary day I can view as extraordinary most days. And vacations are becoming the cherry on top and not what I used to need as pure oxygen.I still love them but I also love most days too. It is still hard to go back home after such a lovely time-but a lot less harder than it used to be

 
I loved hearing his deep and throaty laugh of happiness. I loved seeing her cuddle on her daddy's lap. I loved watching him order off the menu. I loved looking at the stars and sea with him under a sweet kiss. I love this family of mine fiercely. And I will make it my life's purpose to keep them near us for as long as would possibly make sense for them to grow into mature and healthy adults. We are keeping these kids close to us in life.


Despite all the good stuff you can always tell when a vacation is coming to an end can't you? Our minds start racing more towards the week ahead, the kids start listening less and disobeying more, we as a couple start being less affectionate and more short with each other , we start looking ahead and planning vs. being in the present . The food starts becoming a bit boring and the mess in re kid’s room starts getting noticed more and nagged about often.

 
And when this happens... As it always does, it means transition is around the corner.... And change is about to occur.... And it is in this space that our family struggles the most with.

And we know clear as day that when we are in this space that vacation is over and it is time to settle ourselves back at home.


Our last cruise dinner tonight was the best yet. Over the week we formed a special bond with an old Indian gentleman who was our waiter. He is about to retire and took a strong liking to our family and kids especially. It was heartwarming to see our kids talk to him and share with him. He was also an excellent waiter and did not even need to take our orders to know what we liked. I got special Indian food most nights made just for me.

It was hard to say goodbye. Also the show tonight was incredible with a great comedy act and trapeze and jazz band. Our last night was really memorable. Hard to think it will be two years from now that we get to do something similar again. But I know we are super blessed to do it at all.

 
Goodbye wonderful trip 2013!!! You are exactly what we had hoped for.