Sunday, April 28, 2013

Teaming Together



I am finally starting to understand why  companies when they want you to grow as a team have you do really mundane things like washing floors and picking up sticks for charity. I think there is something in the boringness that bonds people…something in the annoyances of it all that brings resistant people together (those who are actually present and remain for the activity anyways)

I tried to build this at home this weekend. Aiming high for a jovial climate and a feeling of belonging and inclusiveness in our family around Hubbys new office. Tried is the major word you need to understand here.

I ended up succeeding this weekend-but trust me the road was long and rocky. I read a post in a fave blog the other day that once again solidified to me how important it is for readers to get a true sense of the life we are posting about. This woman wrote how one of her best friends said to her when she was complaining about her teens” By reading your blog you would never ever know this” Plain sad in my opinion. What is the point of great record keeping if you leave out your worries, concerns, sadness and anxiety?? How real is that? Doesn’t authenticity count for something? She defended herself by saying she never wanted to “incriminate” her teens on her blog. Does making mistakes and being human warrant incrimination??? Poor soul..I feel sad for her she feels the need to feel so perfect.

Most of us (me included) go to her blog because it is fairy-tale like and fictitious. All the stuff occurs-she just leaves out anything nasty, bad, mean or anxiety provoking in raising 5 kids!! It’s a serious break from our own lives and crises!

So I created a team yesterday in my home. 27,500 deeds (aka huge files) were delivered to our garage on Friday. And 150,000 lbs of filing cabinets. Yes. Yes. Yes, All the files needed to be put into the cabinets in numerical order and under lock and key. They needed to get into these safes asap to be protected by water, fire and sunlight. I am serious here. Big huge and important job.

So I assembled a team! My three kids! I managed them and myself focused on  spring cleaning every corner of my house.  Being a Manager rocks. At first they were super excited “I get to be a secretary!” “I want to be a notary one day it is so cool!”

That lasted 5 mins.

The boys who were the heavy hands and strength in this massive task started carrying and moving  what seemed liked hundreds of crates near the cabinets they belonged too. They were amazing and working as a team! Until they somehow ended up in my driveway screaming and beating each other up!!!

What I hate about spring and summer is how my neighbors have to hear me screaming and swearing at my kids so often. Winter is better for privacy. Even if I bring the kids inside them windows are still open and I have loud voice when I am ready to kill them!

So of course I threatened them, screamed at them and made them feel like crap for not supporting their own dad. That helped a lot. Guilt works with my kids especially when administered in hysteric tones.

Then my daughter who was super excited all week to play secretary got her turn and everything was so heavy and cumbersome that she worked for an hour by herself but cried the whole time because all this physical work made her dizzy. I just let her cry. At least the work was being done! (I understood too as I felt like crying scrubbing toys at an old smelly daycare last year for charity day of my company but was too proud to cry)

Anyways it all got a lot better.Oh no it did not ..there was more wait.

 
Then Chase flat out refused to interrupt his homework (Concerta focus!!!!) to come down and help again. He just said “No”. He also refused to come to the picnic lunch at the new office. Again he just said “No”. I tried to wrack my brain and remember from the 750 parenting teen books  I seem to have read what to do in such a situation? I could not remember. I was too furious for thought.

So I just did what came intuitively and naturally to me. I called him out and started screaming really loud in his face with a lot of swears words a teen his age can relate to. I frothed at the mouth for effect (for real). That’s seemed to be super effective! The rest of the day he was an angel!

(yes yes I do a lot of parenting coaching and I am actually pretty good when advising others. Please come back soon?)

The rest of the day went super smoothly! Teamwork was built! A bit like Survivor where it takes a little time to bond and get it right but then everyone is all buddy buddy and lives happily ever after!!!

We made a beautiful picnic lunch and all took it over to the new office and actually ate outside on the patio furniture that will be there permanently. Hubby and his team worked so hard and are still working so hard and we thought they needed a nice lunch break. It was so nice to get to know them better and eat with them.

But why oh why did those two skinnies not eat the chips and cupcakes? What is happening here? I have to admit it was a bit odd to see my husband under the table lying down with his office manager but hey that is what needs to be done if a screw is loose right?

It was strange to see the deep comraderie among my hubby and his girls at work. Felt a bit odd but I was super happy for him and them. They have a great team and I am glad for the teamwork (without the yelling and swearing) he has created over the years. I was proud of Hubby and I that we both are secure enough in our marriage to allow for the friendships with the opposite sex and feel happy for each other because of it. His colleagues are his cherished relationships and so are my male colleagues for me; they all enrich our lives and our hearts in a special way. I was happy to be included in his team today and for the kids to feel part of it all.

All part of my master plan of teamwork!


The afternoon was a piece of cake. My kids felt scared and threatened enough to complete the job in record time in our garage. We did not think this humanly possible. They even  threw in a freebie of cleaning the basement and helping me bring down all the bags of clothes to give away from the closet. They managed to get along, help each other out and not kill eachother. They even made a few jokes along the way.

I considered this an excellent day.

I could have just written this blog and told about how at 5:30pm as their Dad came home exhausted but face beaming of pride for their hard works and hugging them delighted me. I could have included the toast we did on the balcony in the sun with the special soft drinks (and martinis I)  to recognize all this work. I could have talked about how accomplished I felt for putting together such a team and succeeding at such a task.

I could tell you how sweet my kids are and are cooking us a fancy dinner tonight as we are cashing in our traditional Christmas coupon where they kids plan and buy food and cook for us once a year.

But..that is only part of the story isn’t it? An important part..a true part..and authentic part. A heartwarming part. But to get there is a lot behind the scenes..a lot of nagging..and management.

But that is what I want to record. Both. This is not a blog to impress you. Or a blog for me to look back on and remember only the good moments. I want to remember it all.

I want to remember real life. All of it. In it’s splendor.

This beautiful chaotic orchestra I feel I have had a lot to do in creating. The good, the bad, the beautiful and the ugly. And hopefully something in the way I handle it or don’t handle it-will inspire you…to even when the going gets tough- to stick with it all….hang in there…..and calm down enough to keep your focus.

To have 27, 500 deeds neatly tucked away into their fireproof vaults by three children who managed to get it together enough to have a day where they came out feeling proud, rewarded, included and part of this big and important project. Where they each said something at the office picnic that made me realize I had achieved my goal despite the wrestling, attacks and hositility. I translate from French to English:


Child 3 “I am going to sweep up a bit the parking lot as looks a little messy”

Child 2-“I still can’t believe this belongs to us” (said to his Dad’s staff who have been working away for months trying to get it all organized and ready and who responded “Yours?? It’s OURS!!!”

Child 3-Dad can you take a look at your agenda? I want to come and eat lunch with you. Thursday good?…and then we can go across the street for an icecream together. You can pay”

Every single nasty moment was worth this. All of it. Gold. Music to my tired ears. Oxygen to my exhausted screaming mouth. And above all joy and contentment to my happy heart overflowing with pride and love for my family and the team we have created.

This day and everyday.