In my favorite course ever ,which because I manage it, I
got to attend part of it once again this week… I learned something very
important.
There is always one particular thing in any course that
sticks with me and that I take with me forever.
This one was when my colleague discussed a concept after
we watched a movie on the life of tennis champion Roger Federer. No matter how
many times I watch this movie..I am touched to the point of tears. Just from
the perspective of how high performing he is and the mental ability it takes to
win match after match after match. So touching and powerful to analyze (which
we do in this course) what it takes exactly to achieve this level of high performance. And to sustain it.
And today we learned something new
True
Passion always has an element of pain and suffering.
That actually the German translation of the English word “Passion”
actually contains the word “Suffering” in it. I loved this.
I don’t know why exactly it just really resonated for me.
I have always been a very driven person..driven in many
directions. Driven very extensively and sometimes even obsessively to develop
myself and change, and aim higher and further. But it is rarely a peaceful
state. It comes with lots of hurt, and pain and suffering to keep moving and
moving to where I want to be as a person and where I want to be in my life in
general. There always seem to lack an element of peace and joy until much more recently.
It is not relaxing at all-although very rewarding.
And I have always wondered if there is something wrong
with me in this respect? Is this normal?
But today I realized that passion of any sort..true
passion and commitment is laced with suffering and self analysis. The most passionate of people who have the ability to really share their passions and make a difference do not wear rose colored glasses and sit in the small box of their own contentment for very long.
Additionally, you can literally not get from point a to point b and c if you do not go backward before moving forwards and that step back goes a long way in self-development. And it is one that many preople are more than willing to leave out on their journeys. The journeys of their childhood; where most of both our passions and pain begun and carved us into the people we are today. Do you have the courage to go there?
Additionally, you can literally not get from point a to point b and c if you do not go backward before moving forwards and that step back goes a long way in self-development. And it is one that many preople are more than willing to leave out on their journeys. The journeys of their childhood; where most of both our passions and pain begun and carved us into the people we are today. Do you have the courage to go there?
Federer has his turn when his beloved coach of many years
died in a tragic accident at the age of 32. That is when the tennis pro really
came alive and began to feel passion, and pain and take him to the next level
of his sport .To explore his own childhood, and face his demons…is when he became
a true success.
And I loved the look on his face at every win, every
trophy won. The look of pure passion, and suffering and pleasure. It is what I
will always aim for. That look he has on his face is tantalizing and
remarkable. Authenticity at it's core.
And now I know it is normal. That I am normal. That I
feel many many things. And this will also be the propeller to doing many many things
one day in the future. This ability for joy and for sadness is ultimately what
will help me one day in my endeavors
I allow myself the gift
of feeling fully and wholly now. This has been a long long journey for me
of coming complete, or forgiving, of being forgiven and of mapping out the life
I want to have with the people I want around me. I continue down this journey every single day. Still.
And I realized this week that a true passion of mine and one I hope to play out over the next decade is so teach others in a big way (vs a more 1-1 or small course style) to access the best parts of themselves and to most importantly share those parts. As mothers, as wives, as husbands, as friends, as fathers . As neighbors and colleagues and nieces. To access the best parts of ourselves through our own vulnerability and authenticity. To come to a place where we are able to both give and receive what was always meant for us. To make decisosn in our lives that nurture and sustain these elements.
Passion and Pain. It's all part of the package of life isn't it?
And I realized this week that a true passion of mine and one I hope to play out over the next decade is so teach others in a big way (vs a more 1-1 or small course style) to access the best parts of themselves and to most importantly share those parts. As mothers, as wives, as husbands, as friends, as fathers . As neighbors and colleagues and nieces. To access the best parts of ourselves through our own vulnerability and authenticity. To come to a place where we are able to both give and receive what was always meant for us. To make decisosn in our lives that nurture and sustain these elements.
Passion and Pain. It's all part of the package of life isn't it?