Thursday, April 18, 2013

She


It’s funny how life happens

By speaking to a friend today over the phone I realized that one of my goals is to also make a new friend at work. Friends at work are so important to me. Oxygen. I have a few but I need another one too.

Well today low and behold the loveliest woman in my office appears.  The meeting was very random as a Director at work gave her my name to coach for an hour as she is suffering at home and work and having a super hard time. At first I said no..if I talked and hour with every person at work who asked me this I would never ever get my real job done. But for some reason I said yes to this one. For 30 minutes. Saying that I would see her and refer her to someone outside the organization.

So there she sat this adorable, beautiful lovely woman. Vulnerable, powerful, articulate. Nothing but the word lovely came to mind.And I thought she was spectacular, and everything she said and admitted to me, I thought took courage. I had deep deep repsect for this human in front of me.

The thought crossed my mind “Is this the friend I have been seeking?” Is this her??”
And as clear as day the answer came to me:

No she is not. Never. Not in a million years. She was sent today to give you a message. And the message is that you can change lives. You can help people in a big, big way. Not now…not in a few years…it’s still not around the corner. Probably not for another 5-6 years as you ensure your best self is given to your own family before you give it to the world…but for the rest of your life  you will be defined by the moments like you had today.

Where the fulfillment you feel in that “friend”….will become your life. You will be fueled with happiness and fueled by exactly the type of person you helped today.  I fundamentally love being called an “angel” and given a big and sweet and sincere hug during my workday. Makes me feel like a million bucks. And feel like making a million bucks too.


No…I don’t need a new friend at all. I am very, very happy with the ones I have right now near and far in my life.

The future is much more than a new friend.