I am so surprised that I am actually good at yoga.
And that I am actually capable of it.
And that
I like it!!!
It’s quite shocking. I am sooooo not a yogi. I think that
comes from having to have chanted more than my share of yoga chants throughout
my childhood. And eating tofu for Easter in a big circle on the floor with a Swami
sitting beside me and yelling “the child must eat!!!”
My Dad played violin at yoga camps so while other kids went
to the beach for vacations, I got to go and watch my parents meditate and do
yoga and eat beans and lentils. The big excitement of the day was the old
wrecked plane to visit in the courtyard. My brother and I visited it like a hundred
times a day..and not because we had any interest only because there was nothing at
all to do there.
Oh ya we enjoyed the rats on the floor a lot too at night
on our mattresses. I swear to god if my Mom even mentions ever that I am doing
anything wrong with my kids …..I am going to remind her of this! And spending
my childhood in the back of a pickup truck without a seatbelt! So what if I don’t
scrub my potatoes with a separate brush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did you figure out yet my parents were sorta hippies??????????
They also used a drawer for my bed and put tofu in my milk bottle.
God love them.Now wonder I am so corporate now. It is a rebelllion!
Anyways I do like yoga now and I am good at it. I have
always felt rather inadequate in aerobic classes. Literally as they start the
class I want to go home . It makes a
long hour between this and dripping in sweat after the first 3 minutes.But I was always super strong in the weightromm. All the
girls around me lifting 20 lbs on their legs and me 100 lbs!
Well same with yoga it seems. I seem to be really flexible…I
think unless the teacher is tricking me and this is not yoga? Its seem to weird
that so many of my friends (some who bike form Toronto to Mtl and
another who works out 7 days a week) think yoga is hard and I find it super relaxing? It also seems to be too good to be true...to actually like excercise and anticipate it????
And what is even stranger is that I seem to be the only
who who will chant Ommmmmmmmm at the end. I am not even shy. I know it’s a
bit odd-but I actually like it. It makes me feel good. I know. I know. I guess there is some hippy in me after
all.
It is the first exercise class that I look forward to.
Really really stretches and relaxes me. I never relax in real life.
And the teacher it would seem might be very annoying to
me. I mean c’mon to be so happy and smiling and positive all the time is
annoying isn’t it? But for some reason I actually like her. Why? I have no
idea!!!! What has happened to me? I actually like when she talks about the body and mind
and our limits and says things like “feel the prawna in your body and let go of
all your worries”
I don’t mind that she does not understand the first thing
about business or stress and when she came here to have a booth in the cafeteria
to attract more employees to yoga classes she asked if she could use the time
for her and her yogi colleagues to eat lunch.
I thought it was funny!
Anyways. Yoga is a good thing however surprising that may
be. And meditation too. Breathing is a good skill to learn. I wish I had known
more and taken it more seriously as I pushed my 10 lbs. baby out no epidural! (not a choice of course..it was New Year's Eve and the anatheologists were all at a party!!!)
Maybe the next vacation instead of a cruise we will do a
yoga camp with the kids. And invite my Mom. I will ask her as I sit and do my
breathing and oooooomming all day if she would mind taking the kids for a few
chickpeas and grains and looking at the plane in the courtyard again before
they go to sleep in the drawer on the floor infested by rats! I am sure she
would love to join us on this lovely vacation!!!!!
I might even throw in a few pieces of tofu turkey if it
is Easter! And a fake lentil cupcake at the end if she is super fortunate.