Thursday, May 08, 2014

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs



That is what I am about to watch…alone in my tiny tiny room…..after a great bamboo massage with facial and scalp and Indian foot massage that my hubby booked as an early mother’s day gift for me. Was decadent. And now I am ALONE..more decadent..first time in the last week. Beauty and Hubby went to show and dinner in the fancy dining room together. I just ordered room service. Yummy. And there are no movies except the above kids one so I will watch that. Or hell no..I will read or blog.
It was cloudy all day anyways today and Beauty orders Bolognese-could be meatballs –dailyJ
Today was so amazing even despite the still chillier cloudier weather. Split, Croatia is magnificent. Reminds me a lot of Dubrovnik but even more luxurious and more lush and beautiful. We started out on an in promptu city open bus ride that was so beautiful right across the coastline of Split. Then we did a 30 minute walking tour of the castle that is the center of the city. Truly gorgeous.
Beauty and Hubby went up and rang some bells at the top of the church while my ankle and I read at the bottom (good excuse to get some reading in!!!)
We had lunch at this cool place and for the first time used Wi-Fi for about 5 minutes and then decided it was a no. Vacation is too precious. We don’t want to hear the news or hear of the Habs scored (yet). Even Beauty texted her BFF and then put her itouch away and took pics of the drinks and food (her new thing)
Everyone was in a great mood today after an amazing 10 hr. sleep. We literally pressed snooze 22 times!!  Beauty was back to her normal good brace night (well as good as one can be in a brace that squeezes you so tight you barely breathe and have red welts on you the next morning!) As I have said she is a  STAR.  Never complains. As you can see none of us (or our boys) are morning people in the least. We like sleeping and taking our time to wake up. The problem in cruising Europe is that there is so much beauty to see…sleep or scenery? We try to do both. Plus the next two days are early ones -7am…as excursions and then gondolas to ride in Venice.
You get very used to this lifestyle I tell you. At first I was thinking-omg..14 days us three in this tiny room smaller than my bathroom? With Beauty who is not the easiest roommate?  Will this be ok? Well let me tell you..it is more than ok…it is amazing. It takes some changing of routines and some adjustments…there are certainly some lower moments too…but mostly I am on a high. I love this life. I love this life in close proximity to my daughter (although I miss my husband as she steals him all the time!). Beauty is a true traveler and explorer and a great roommate in general. I was wrong.
It’s a gift. And Europe is a prize-as usual. It’s our kind of place.
And the cruise is pretty cool too. It is no Royal Caribbean….not fancy like that. But room service comes in 5-10 mins..They all know our names and they are giving me a free hot stone treatment next week because they made an error and used bamboo for the massage today. I rather liked bamboo but did not dare to admit that!!! Bring it on!
It’s a bit hard to be around everyone partying all the time…it’s loud and while Hubby trying not to drink-that part is tough…I hate watching those I love suffer or hurt…but I need to get used to that. It’s what life is really about letting people(little and big) owns their own journeys. Stay out of it…stay in yours- but it is hard. I have tried for years to prevents heartbreaks, hand out not getting divorce advice, impose parenting advice I know will stop teenage mayhem etc…but lately I am just shutting up more often. Because I have my life and they all have theirs. They own their wins and mistakes and so do I in my own life. But I still find it hard to see a truck coming towards someone I love and not tell them to watch out. And I find it equally hard to watch people I love lay in the puddle of their own warm pee. (I use this expression because our trio inside joke these days is how non-alcoholic wine tastes a bit like one’s own warm pee). In Canada I will make it my mission to find some good ones. Actually Great ones. Consider it done ok Hubby?
Anyways Split Victoria is a must see…besides the food not being too great compared to Greece and Italy…it is spectacular.
I bought my Mama bear a great souvenir today too and got hers and the boys sweet texts. I can’t wait to call them soon and email then…will be in next couple of daysJ) I am so grateful for my Mom watching the boys and allowing us this trip with Beauty.
Today I looked back at my daughter holding her dads hand as usual walking the streets of Europe like a pro..And when she caught my eye and reached out her other hand for me and walked in the middle of the two of us? I knew that no truck would be running over us anytime soon.And when I grabbed the gold foot of the praying stair that ensures your one and only wish comes true and I prayed for happiness for Beauty vs “no surgery” I knew that I was not only well on my way to being mindful, “V”, and  at peace-I knew I had in fact arrived at my destination.
Right in Croatia. Holding the gold toe of some religious statue in a big park on a cloudy meatballish day.
 
Happiness is living our best day TODAY. It really truly is. One breath at a time.  And it is dealing with feelings of hurt, anger, and pain as they come. Today holding that guys gold foot in Croatia …I think I got it. And as sad thoughts passed through my head mixed along with happy ones, I realized maybe for the first time in my life that happiness and sadness can co-exist . And so can love and anger. You can love someone to bits…and truly be sad or angry about other parts..And that? Is perfectly ok. It’s part of love and of life and it’s allowed.
Beauty has taught me a whole invisible a lot on this trip.  And you know what? She won’t really very really know it. But she felt and will continue to feel will as of that moment of her reaching back for my hand…feel the peace within me…..whether she ever decides to reach back again..or doesn’t.