Sunday, May 18, 2014

Home and Reasonableness




We are home! Loooong flight back since did not sleep at all-it’s final we are NOT doing Australia or Hawaii in the next few years-hate the plane part!

Nice nice homecoming with huge huge hugs and welcome from boys, Mom and one of Chase’s friends who ran and hugged us and swooped up  Beauty up (and almost me) in his arms-so sweetJ Our adopted 6’2 sonJ We all chatted and talked and gave souvenirs and then Chase went off for the evening and Bear on his IPad and Beauty facetimed her friends for hours to make up for lost time. Mom went home. The true portrait of a teen family. We were so tired it being 6 hours ahead that we told Chase to make his way home somehow and wake us to tell us he was safe since 11pm was 4am for us! And so he rode his bike home and came and kissed us. We must have been really tired to allow that!

Today unpacked good part of day-went to get groceries-cleaned the pool and had a super nice lunch our family on way up to cottage. Boys bought me “any dessert I wanted at st Hubert” for my late mother’s day gift and said a little part 2 tomorrow (I think they were traumatized by the Tiger Mom move I pulled two years ago when they gave me nothing when I was away and did not acknowledge when I got back). I am happy with the resultsJ

And now up at cottage and made spaghetti sauce to last a year in freezer (ok if I am honest I orchestrated the making of it and am now blogging). We watched amazing race all together will have a nice dinner and then a nice movie.

 

And tomorrow is TONS OF WORK. Takes us about 4 full days to prep the cottage for summer and tomorrow is day 1 with the next couple of weekends soley devoted to this work. Reality has to set in some time right?

 

So this post is called reasonable because we were this time. Maybe for the first time. We came home on a Saturday and have 2 days to get organized and Monday is a holiday. We never ever ever do this and always travel until the last possible minute and go to work 6 hrs later and then spend the next week struggling to get organised at night. This time we made a good choice. Reasonable.

And of course back to reality is hard but of course no one cares! And of course they shouldn’t either! We have been on vacation for two weeks! But the reality is this type of vacation is physically and mentally exhausting! (I know poor poor poor us right??:) And ps my ankle is still sprained!

Only sister Savvy really gets it. How travel is so important but is also a huge…(get ready for a controversial statement…) a big sacrifice!!!

Yes a sacrifice. All the packing, the planning, the organizing, the paying, there catching up, the worrying. And the money of course! Those parts are hard. Takes a lot of effort. Is part of a bigger picture. But the benefits are HUGE and so are the experiences and what you gain. But it is hard.

And only Savvy gets too that it is just like regular date nights when you are married (although I don’t have those anymore as my kids are gone most Friday nights anyways!)…but although they are fun they are a commitment to the greater good. Just like travel is. It’s for the greater good of LIFE and worth it. Not beach holidays but exploration cultural ones that let you see the world. Now trust me I know these are first world issues for sure!!!!! I can’t wait to see the mails I get after this blog-I am drooling just anticipating the controversy (love a good fight!) LOL.

Anyways travel is awesome but it is tiring too. Today I am burnt but so so happy.

As we exited the airplane my Mom texted us and said “Did not want to tell you this as you came home BUT…(never a good first sentence)

 

“but Chase ate Beauty’s Easter chocolate she was saving and there might be a big fight”

Trust me Mom! After the beginning to the year we have had this was a big relief that this was all it was!!!

Anyways I listened to my Mom and really made Chase pay (he replaced it by 17 dollars of candy, is going to confession at a church, is listening to a bunch of CDS about why not to steal and will be doing three hours of community work) as this is the second incident of dishonestly and disrespect on his part in a month and we want to drive the message home “BE NICER!

(Personally I would have just let them figure it out by themselves instead of creating this big mess but I listened to my Mama!!!!)

Anyways the drama past and we are reunited with our boys…our home and our lives. Beauty is still being an angel even after 24 hrs. and actually listening to me when I command her to do something. Magic.

Thanks for following my trip (if you did!) I know these travel blogs can get very boring and tedious. It’s more for me than for you…I will try to get more creative, controversial and interesting in the coming weeks!