Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Uninterrupted




We wanted Her for a long while. Especially me.

I would have gone to most extremes to get her-and I did. I ventured out into the treacherous world of having 3 kids under the age of 4 for Her. She was born.We got the Girl.

And since then… we have never had a moment uninterrupted with our Girl it seems. She was born and my husband went home to sleep that with our boys…she came home and the boys gave me gastro twice after making me and Beauty stay an extra night at the hospital together due to our germ infected home.

We got home and immediately she was more a sister than a daughter. Her brothers literally devoured her and have never let go since. She belongs to them more than she belongs to us I think.

I remember the first quiet moment we had at home with our little daughter. On our queen since bed she lay between us sleeping soundly. The boys were both down for their naps. We spent the first precious minute admiring her and the other precious moment falling off to slumber with our little pink miracle between us. I remember that quiet uninterrupted moment like it was yesterday-such quiet. Such peace in my heart two beautiful Boys and -I had my Girl! We were complete as a family.

Then the doorbell rang. And the boys woke up because of it. And Beauty started crying and there was no more nap for us. It was Granpapa Max-Hubby’s Dad. We were in shock….he never ever ever dropped by-and lived a good 30 minutes away and was old and the not dropping in type

“Je veux voir ma petite fille-Olivia” (ps her name is not Olivia-he just really really wanted us to name her that so always insisted that was her name).

And so we all woke up and got up and served tea and cookies. And showed her off while the boys tried to grab his attention. And ever since that moment-we never had another moment like that one it seems with our daughter between our admiring eyes just her and us.

Until last week. And this week. Indulgent.

Last night she lay between us in our bed (a little bigger and a little taller but still the same baby). We admired her and ticked her and did kissing fights. And this time we were not interrupted-this time all we had time for –was her. And just this simple fact made all of the trip worth it. I have gotten to know my girl more in two weeks than I have in her entire lifetime so far. And for me it took a Europe trip to do it (I know others can do it over crafts or a milkshake, but I know I need to do it here far far away)

And sure we miss our boys. A lot. But we Adore this time with her. And especially with both of us. I think she feels like the luckiest girl alive right now with her Mom and Dad literally by her side for 14 days. The cornerstone of Hubby and my relationships is us together. And I wanted so much to give her us. We are making up for lost time as a trio.

Scoliosis gave this to us. The cruise and Europe have brought it home. 

The dr visits, the hospital waits, the worry, the research, now Greece, Italy, Croatia, yummy food. It’s all a gift. And you know what? We deserve it. We have seriously earned our keep in the last 6 months. I knew these very difficult  months would bring something wonderful into our lives eventually –and they have. We have re-discovered our daughter. It’s a new beginning I think. Sure when we get back home it will go back to normal-of course it will-but we got to have these 14 days uninterrupted. And just that is priceless in a lifetime. We will remember.

 

Here are some things I learnt about Beauty so far on this trip:

1-She is a little girl at heart. Put a pair of goggles on that long legged girl and she is three again

2-She loves competing against herself. “Dad count how many seconds it takes me to get up and done the water slide!”

3-She says “again!” all the time

4-She is sooooooo not a morning person. I will never take it personally again. Literally before two hours of being awake the only thing she is capable of saying is “arret!” if you speak or come close to her. It’s nothing personal. On Mother’s Day she mustered up enough energy to shout “Happy Mother’s Day” (in syllables) angrily in my face, It is just who she is in the morning. I have to learn to accept it

5-She is jealous. If I mention the boys she immediately says “I do that too!” or “I am like that too you know!” and  she goes crazy when Hubby and I kiss or hold hands

6-She eats like a horse. As much as a horse anyways. She is a grazer and not a meal eater. She chews on eggs, watermelon, Cesar salad, and Bolognese pasta and ham many times throughout a day

7-She will never settle in her liefetime on than having less than 3 kids no matter what. She said she will adopt if she is infertile or single. She will have kids and dogs and probably an elderly or disabled person or two in her home (probably not me or her Dad but someone else with some issues) to nurture and boss around. To her family is many.

8-She looks so beautiful while she sleeps. Even tightly wound in her zebra night brace she is gorgeous and sleep becomes her.

9-She cares so so so so so so much more than she lets on in life. This has been the biggest discovery. She taking my hands and looking into my eyes and saying “I am truly sorry” was honestly one of the finest moments of my life. She is big into trying to look and act cool but underneath she is soft, soft soft in her heart.

10-She is a creative, artistic and imaginative girl born into a family who maybe has never really “gotten” her in many ways. Now I do. I get what makes her tick. I intend to keep her ticking.

 

(11) (She is a truly delightful child when there are no chores to do or homework to be done) Easy –peasy!

 

I am really excited to keep uncovering her and discovering her. Whether that is in hospital rooms, doctors’ offices. Chiropractor tables, or other trips she is my girl and I will NEVER ever ever ever forget that for even a single moment. I can’t wait to watch her grow up and grow up alongside her .

 Uninterrupted Indulgence. Just like eating chocolate crepes with fluffy whipped cream.