Sunday, January 04, 2015

Goodbye Holidays!



no time to edit sorry for typos.. rushing and have tried to post this all day and no time. so posted with lots of typos it will be!

It’s funny as I have always had a love hate relationship with holidays (mostly love!) I am always a little bit scared and insecure to be off work and out of routine but then equally as scared to return back to that work and those routines.
Something about holidays shakes me up no matter how many times I take them (which is a lot!) Holidays always manage to destabilize me and ground me both at the same time. When I start them I always think-“OMG how will I be without my routine/off work/with these 4 others people 24 hrs a day all day every day for the next 15 days??? And then during and at the end I think “How will I ever get back to real life-this is sooo good. I love being off work and with these 4 people!!”

And certainly I do love holidays. It’s just when we do them-we really do them. We don’t work in between at all-take a real mental break. All of us. Kids are supposed to prep for a few exams and we agreed with them..no way. I have three massive deadlines Wednesday and refuse to even let my mind go there until tomorrow morning. For us it is the only way to really disconnect and re-energize. However the result is chickens running around without heads when we get back to normal life-but I am  convinced that for us this oblivious disconnected state is necessary to deal with the types of lives we lead when we are not on vacation.

A few things I want to remember about our Christmas 15 days of holidays 2014/2015 (minus one day I worked on Dec 24): Skip if boring for you as often on vacation blogs more of record keeping for me and family.

-We relaxed a lot the first half (minus hosting for Xmas which because we host for pretty much every year for two decades so is no big deal for us. We have hosting done to an art by this point)

-The first part of holidays it was movies, and baking and reading and lounging around in pyjamas. We watched on most days two episodes of Scandal a day Hubby and I! We would go outside for about 2 hrs a day on most days for a skate-a sport of an errand and then come back to the cozy fire ..and do..nothing. Normally on holidays we make sure we have a few days of this for sure but most years we have friends in and out of the cottage every few days. This year much much quieter. Except the last five days we have had a whirlwind of friends and guests and extended family activity which has been super nice too

-Skiing: Beauty and Chase skied every second day (and sometimes everyday) from 8:30am-3:30pm. Big skiing days. Bear in between here and there with more cross country etc. And Hubby and I skied…never. We were not up to it . Hubby cross country a number of times. Me? Nothing. It just was not the flavor of our holidays this year.

-Fave events? New Year’s Eve, Jan 1 and lunch with mom and great visit to the of family cottage with Hubby sister and skating on the beautiful lake. Soul keeper and family special two day visit and long walks and long soaks in the hot tub with snow on our heads with my dear buddy. Every time I see her it’s like much needed oxygen for both of us. Had such a good time.

-Board games. Always had a vision of family being into board games-always touched on it over the years here and there on this vacation was almost every second night. Except once though was without meL I kind of despise games except a few which is something I will need to change!!!!! But just because I suck doesn’t mean I don’t want this experience for the family. I adore this quiet time with me myself and I in front of fire while they play Clue and Life and whatever else. Need to include myself more

-Girlfriends over. They are both here now! First time at cottage. And overnight too. Fun..I played a game all of us..Had nice dinner. But awkward weird day too a bit and not used to it all and certainly an adaptation for us on many levels. But the girls themselves are beautiful wonderful nice girls for sure. Just hard to see our boys cuddling, kissing, and us babysitting and being worried about not leaving them alone in any room very long!. New lives! To be expected! One of those boys is too young for this! One of them is perfect stage but still odd. At least I know both have excellent taste in woman!

-The kids not even one time said they were bored or wanted to go back to the city or real life. They loved the break and besides the skiing didn’t do a whole lot!!! I can’t believe they could relax as much as we do and enjoy it. Impressive and fun that we have raised three kids so similar to us.

-It’s been a hard year so not surprising that at the end of it-Hubby and I had our ups and do on these holidays . Had such important talks-let out a lot of feelings on both our sides that have been bottled up somewhat. It’s going to be time for us to tweak between us what has always been comfortable. Wit this year behind us- redefine ourselves and our couple in many ways. It’s going to be hard-and exciting in ways too. We had a lot of good times together but also a lot of reality checks. You can’t  have gone through what we have as a couple this year and expect anything less.

-amount of family time.-it always shocks me how much time as a family of five or even as a couple we spend together without killing each other. We spend a lot mostly because of our cottage and we don’t have neighbors or friends up here that we socialize with (minus the kids have a couple of friends at mountain). When we are here is is the 5 of us and we are here a lot. Always makes me proud. We are very bonded. We get on each other’s nerves a lot but it all works out. When Sou keeper and I had two full hours in the Jacuzzi together she was shocked when I said that was my first time away from the others in 14 days!!!! Craziness! And as a couple no time at all. 24/7 with the kids always except a 5 hour Nordic bath spa morning. No dinners just two of us-no nights with the kids back in the city. All together.

 When kids were young and up until about 4 years ago we made much more of an effort to find this couple time. One we have it more naturally come to us with kids often leaving us alone to watch movies or afternoon when they ski etc. We feel the clock is working in a different direction now…only so many more moments of the whole family and many more ahead of us as a couple alone. There will be plenty of date nights ahead in our future!

-Eating-we ate really really well. Homemade meals nightly and lots of cakes and cupcakes. I ate whatever I wanted  but in moderation which is not hard for me. Had protein shakes ¾ of times in morning. Was a good food holiday. Kinda scared to see the damages on the scale-but I have the feeling that I gained 3 lbs but will be easy to lose with the new eating plan within about a week.

-I feel lonely in some ways. I want more. More family. More friends. More love. More of everything. I read a line on a blog the other day that resonated with me like nothing else. The blogger was being interviewed  and was asked the question “Is there anyone you are close to you miss?
And she said exactly what is in my own heart:

Chances are if I love you? I miss you.

It’s how I am wired and that won’t be changing anytime soon.


So the end of holidays. Parts wonderful and parts a little less wonderful. Just like real life.
Goodbye holidays!!! Until the next!

Ps-came back at end of day to write PS before posting. Girlfriend day got fun. Freezing rain here so no skating and outside stuff. Packed them all up in the car and gave them each 15 dollars to go spend in village. They all decided to go out to Mr Pizza for lunch (two couple and invited Beauty) then they all walked 15 mins in the rain and went bowling. Was really sweet and we got to know the girls on a different level. I was so happy they all included our daughter too which was so much fun for her (although I did not expect it given they have not seen their girlfriends in 2 weeks and was sure they would each do separate activities and had warned Beauty). Hubby and I went out for a delicious lunch at a resto and shared two yummy meals and then a chocolatine and coffee at the bakery. We walked along the village slipping and sliding everywhere and met up with the bowlers for a stroll back to the car where we parked further away to get some fresh air. Today although crappy weather was a super end to the holiday. And having the girlfriends here became more normal too. They are both lovely girls and felt happy all five kids around same age to be able to hang out.

Now although we should be packing we are squeezing in a half episode of Scandal by the fire and a Jacuzzi Hubby and I before we make our last family vacation dinner which the kids chose (Greek pasta, baguette, sausages on BBQ and apple caramel cake)

We will be home later than expected and the girl’s parents will be picking them up at our house. They have to know and understand that if they hang with our family…we squeeze it all in right up until the very last second!!!


PSS: the fun will continue! Just found out no electricity at home and roads too icy to take road. We sleep here with girlfriends again. Just cleared it with both parents that they miss two periods of school in morning. Was fun we all had a meeting to discuss and make decisions with kids. They are thrilled!!!!