I have whole arrays of symbols around the house.
Little trinkets that tend to mean something to me. Objects to which I attach
significance.
I have rocks and bookmarks, playing cards and quotes.
I have a lucky necklace and even luckier charm bracelet and a zebra and Buddha
on the fireplace. Even my late dad’s urn is a symbol. I have a little
stress man at the cottage who is made of rubber and the same one at home but
who is bald (I purposefully ripped his hair off in honor of my bald friend who
is calmer than me and this symbol reminds me when I pack to pack like her (less
irritably and less!)
When one of my sweet colleagues gave me for my bday
the seven year pen (in pink!) I was very happy.
If you know me- you know I literally have about 20
pens scattered on any surface I am near at any time. I do not just use one pen.
This shows how much I write. I write in the morning noon and night and even in
the middle of the night often on a post it note. I use pens a lot but don’t
really prefer one to the other. Having ink is pretty much my only requirement.
Well the 7 yr. pen-guarantee became a ray of sunshine
and hope for me.! Not run out of ink? Became my fave. My one and only. Has been
three months now I don’t let this baby out of my sight. I adore it. I have made
it another luck symbol and have given myself the challenge to have it in 7 yrs.
–with ink. It would be a lucky symbol if I can manage it.
Well well… not all story endings are happy right?
After just 3 short months the 7 year pen
is already running out of ink!!! What a disappointment and betrayal eh? And
there is only so much pen shaking you can do at work and not look like a
complete idiot who can’t afford a new pen!
So I told my colleague and like everything else she
does so diligently and well (so glad she is on my team!!) she wrote to the company and told them!
Hurray!
We expected a truck to pull up the next week with a
thousand 7 yr. pens! How fun we could distribute them across the company! This
company would never want to piss off two people from a large global pharma
company now would they???
Clearly I guess they do not care.
Today my colleague gets in the mail a new cartilage
for the pen. No new pen? Just the damn ink? Are you kidding me?????? How cheap
is cheap? This is pretty bad. We laughed and laughed and laughed at the
absurdity of this move for customer service sake Company may doing so poorly can’t
even afford to replace a pen? Still recovering from all the outstanding
lawsuits of promised and failed seven year ink?
The best part of this all is that I went to replace
the cartilage and realized I can’t find my pen!!! I lots my lucky pen!!!!!
So now and on a mission to find it.
And just like everything else in my life that is a
little symbol in our home this gives me massive adrenaline. When I run out of
crisis to fix around me-I move onto the fun stuff! I actually enjoy sweating all the small stuff! I It's the bigger stuff I could definately do without.
Moral of the story: Don’t be fooled by unrealistic
promises/ don’t put pressure on yourself to keep a pen 7 yrs/ always send a
replacement gift to an unsatisfied customer if it is under 5$ (plus shipping and
handling)/always have lucky symbols around your house. They count-especially if you don't lose them