There was a blog I read this morning which spoke to me. She
talks about half measures. Basically only doing things halfway instead of going
full out. With often fatal or important consequences. She defines it for
herself as weak or half assed attempts to achieve something.
And it spoke to me very much because it is my mantra in
life not to do this for the things and people that I have defined important in
my life. And my pet peeve for certain is
when the world around me (or I!) do not do the same.
At work people seem to get this idea. Go the extra mile. Focus
on strategic important projects.
At home many people also get this –especially when
there is a stay at home mom-treat your family like your most important project.
And then there are many people at work and with families who don’t give at rats’
ass at all of course about their work or family or both!
But I find that it is the people or situations between
work and home that often get the half measures of people most often. Exercise,
health, treating friends well,
committing to hobbies, taking care of ourselves, stepping outside of our own
zone and busy lives and minds and nurturing
others. The list can go on and on and on.
In my own life there are many things I give half measures
too-because either the motivation or the feeling just isn’t there. But you don’t
hear me complaining much about the consequences and impact of these half measured
attempts. But I also have plenty of deliberate areas I put my energies into
full force and these are the areas I succeed in. I think about these areas
almost daily-I know where my full measures go. And I take accountability and ownership
for them
And we can’t give our full to everything and everyone
that is certain. I most certainly don’t! Make your choices deliberate at the very least!
Decide way you will give your full ass to-your half ass to and what you will
give no ass at all to! (He he!) And then try as hard as you might to stick to
those areas of asses.
And then own these choices and live then and take accountability.
And when you mess up? Own it. Be accountable and apologize fully for your
shortcomings.
And if particular people and situations are not important
to you then maybe you should let them know? Be more articulate and forthcoming
and share with them that they will never be a full on ass for you? Or change jobs
to something yon can give more to or want to give more on.
Surround
yourself in a life that matters to you. Where the people, the experiences,
the environment is enough to make it matter in and of itself. Where weak and
half assed attempts to be even close to average or performing just don’t cut it
in realms that you love, are passionate about, precise about and adore.
And let go of the life and people around you who don’t motivate
you to want to give them your best. Or if you don’t let go of them at least be
honest with them and let them know that they are last on your to do list and
then let them decide what to do with you.
I adore this term half
measure (taken from a breaking bad episode) Will add it to my list of book
titles unwritten in my brain!!!