Saturday, January 03, 2015

Score of 2014

Now we look at the past year and how I did with my words in 2014:

Serenity: steadiness of mind under stress; composure, calm, peacefulness

Patience: ability to accept and tolerate delays, problems, sufferings without becoming annoyed or anxious

Above were my two words for 2014. It was such a busy crazy unexpected year I literally forgot I even had any words.

Let’s see? How did I do? Well let’s see in both areas I would say my mom, my husband, my co-workers, my boss and my closest BFF’s would say I made significant improvement. Probably more on the Serenity portion than the Patience but a definite improvement in patience too.

My kids? I bet they would say on serenity slight improvement and in patience no movement.

All perspectives. All reality. But what do I think since I am the one who lived this year? I would say I was steller actually. My world was (and still is in lots of ways) topped itself upside down. It’s really really hard to explain unless you have lived it before-like anything big that happens to anyone for that matter. I am not sure I will ever really recover if I am quite honest. So considering what this year unexpectedly held I actually think I was very serene and very patient-but this was inside my heart much of the time silently and I don’t know how much the world saw of it. For me I am still floored that I got through this year, am still happily married, still have excellent relationships with my kids (even better than the year before), have a closer more authentic relationship with my mother in many ways than ever before and am able to juggle the demands of my new role at work, take on big new clients for my own company, wrote a book and managed to do my part of the domestic duties at home that we used to have  help with. And..be not losing my mind. So with that personal definition of peace and serenity of mine-I would say I scored fairly well.

With tons and tons of space for improvement. What I have realized a lot this year is that often people can’t change innately what is inside of them. They can change the outward behaviours in many ways but very very hard to change people. I have many people around me-including myself, that I have tried to change (which is dumb and also doesn’t usually work). Some I have tried to make more passionate, some more present, some more stable, some more organized, some more nuturing, some more visionaries and strategy. But at the end of the day? I am going to be surrounded by friends and family who I love dearly but are clearly not in the present moment, or not organized, or not making long terms decisions. Just like I will never really be serene or patient-but can try my darnest to act more in this way sometimes for the sake of the people around me mainly

As the year 2014 is coming to an end especially in December my patience and serenity is actually wavering a lot. I am starting to feel my ever common restlessness again as the year closes. Interesting. Which leads me to reflect on the space I am in for 2015 (hallulah we changed years baby!!!) 2014 in lots of ways and my words led me to my word Flow for 2015